Mr. Chapman has a wide range of experience in debt finance and represents both borrowers and lenders in commercial loan transactions, tax-exempt bond financings, and in workouts and restructurings of corporate debt. He also advises banks and other financial institutions on a wide range of regulatory issues. He represents banks in mergers and non-bank investors in the acquisition of bank shares.
In the energy sector, Mr. Chapman has represented public utility holding companies and their operating subsidiaries; biodiesel producers, processors and traders; and independent power producers and owners of cogeneration assets.
In the area of consumer regulation he represents both consumer lenders and manufacturers of consumer products on issues of consumer credit, warranty liability, and consumer regulations.
Mr. Chapman has represented both public transportation authorities and private providers of public transportation infrastructure and services.
In the area of sports and entertainment law, he has represented professional sports franchises and producers, directors and screenwriters of independent films, as well as individuals in the sale of life stories.
- J.D., cum laude, Boston College Law School, 1979
- Bachelors degree, with honors, the University of Chicago, 1973
- Mr. Chapman has been Peer Review Rated as AV® Preeminent, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell's peer review rating system.
- Mr. Chapman was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (2013-2015) in the field(s) of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law. Best Lawyers® is based on an exhaustive peer-review survey in which more than 52,000 leading attorneys throughout the country cast almost 5.5 million votes on the legal abilities of other lawyers in their practice areas. Inclusion in Best Lawyers® is considered a singular honor.
- Mr. Chapman was selected for inclusion in Massachusetts Super Lawyers ® (2005). Super Lawyers and Rising Stars employ an annual jurisdictional selection process. Only five percent of lawyers in the state were selected to the Super Lawyers list and 2.5 percent to the Rising Stars list. The listing appears annually in the November issue of Boston magazine and in New England Super Lawyers.
- Friend of Pace Award, Parents Alliance for Catholic Education, 1997
Recent Articles and Publications:
How We're Different: Partner-Level Attention
Finance Law Update, Winter 2015
Low-Cost Borrowing Opportunities for Nonprofits
Focus Newsletter, Winter 2014
What's Happening in Business Aviation?
Burns & Levinson Client Update, May 2013
Managing Nonprofits in Troubled Times: New Tools in Trustees’ Toolbox
Burns & Levinson Client Update, April 2013
The Know-Nothing Amendments: Barriers to School Choice in Massachusetts
Pioneer Institute White Paper no. 46, April 2009
The Value of Record Retention
Banking Solutions, 2008
Identity theft is no laughing matter
April 9, 2008
Gearing Up for the New Massachusetts Security Breach Law
Corporate Client Update, November 2007
What's Your Preference?
Focus, Fall 2007
Anti-Money Laundering - Insurance Companies
Bankruptcy Update, January 1, 2006
Just the Facts About Junk Fax Act
Focus, Fall 2005
A Fact You Should Know
Focus, Spring 2004
Preferred Stock Positions in Distressed Companies: The Secured Debt Alternative
VC Experts.com, February 10, 2004
Ways to Revive a Zombie Company and Have it Stay Among the Living
Mass High Tech, May 19, 2003
New Money Laundering Rules Applicable to Credit Unions
Corporate Update, August 2002
Corporate LiveWire Virtual Round Table, 5.23.2014
Topic: Banking & Finance 2014
Education Law & Policy Center Seminar, 4.4.2012
Location: New England Law School
Topic: Law of School Choice
Commercial Loan Workouts, 9.24.2010
Location: ExecSense Webinar
Legal Issues, Landmines and Client Strategies for e-Banking, 6.11.2010
Location: ExecSense Webinar
Topic: What Banking Lawyers Need to Know
Boston Business Journal Fraud Forum, 4.28.2010
Location: Westin Copley, Boston MA
Navigating Uncharted Waters, 9.30.2008
Topic: What charter schools should know about recent financial market volatility
Who Will Save America's Urban Catholic Schools?, 4.29.2008
Mr. Chapman was a speaker during this event at the Thomas B. Fordham Institute.
Massachusetts Bankers Association, 2.8.2008
Topic: Record retention
Boston University School of Education, 10.5.2007
Topic: Expanding Education Options Through Tax Benefits
Financial Responsibility in a Nonprofit: The process, the practice, the pitfalls, 9.13.2006
Con Chapman was a presenter at the seminar Financial Responsibility in a Nonprofit: The process, the practice, the pitfalls put on by the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce. The seminar took place on September 13, 2006.
Speaker: Atlantica Group LLC's Homeland Security and Defense Mission, 5.26.2005
Con Chapman was a speaker at Atlantica Group LLC's Homeland Security and Defense Mission, Breakfast Briefing on May 26, 2005.
Presenter: "Identity Theft: Protect Yourself with the Facts", 1.27.2005
Con Chapman was a presenter at the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce Business Briefing on January 27, 2005, "Identity Theft: Protect Yourself with the Facts."
Presenter: Allianace for School Choice's National School Choice Litigation Task Force Meeting, 9.17.2004
Con Chapman was a presenter at the Allianace for School Choice's National School Choice Litigation Task Force Meeting in Pheonix, AZ on September 17, 2004.
Mr. Champan is an AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell.