Ms. Gershwin concentrates her practice in the areas of real estate, business and corporate law.
Ms. Gershwin advises businesses, individuals, public and private universities, and public agencies on acquisitions, financing, development, construction, operation, and sales of real estate. She also advises clients on condominium development, conversion and governance, and on zoning, subdivision, environmental, waterways and construction permitting issues relating to commercial, industrial and residential projects. She is often called upon to resolve complex title problems. Ms. Gershwin acts as outside counsel to existing businesses, and advises clients who are organizing businesses.
Prior to law school, Ms. Gershwin had a ten-year career as a high school mathematics teacher. While teaching, she served as a negotiations specialist for the Massachusetts Teachers Association.
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Massachusetts Conveyancers Association
- New England Women in Real Estate (NEWIRE)
- Women's Bar Association
- Ms. Gershwin is an issuing agent for Chicago, First American, Lawyers and Ticor Title Insurance Companies.
- Ms. Gershwin serves as Chair of the Muddy River Restoration Project Maintenance and Management Oversight Committee (MMOC), created by the Secretary of the Executive Office of Environmental Affairs for the Emerald Necklace/Muddy River Restoration Project. The MMOC provides independent oversight of the multi-jurisdictional project of the City of Boston Parks and Recreation Department and the Town of Brookline Division of Parks and Open Space, which involves property owned by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation as well. She has been involved with the project since 1999, when she was appointed by the Secretary to serve on the Citizens Advisory Committee established as a part of the MEPA Special Review Process in connection with the Project.
- Ms. Gershwin is Past President of New England Women in Real Estate (NEWIRE), an organization of 400 professional women practicing in all areas of commercial real estate.
- After law school, Ms. Gershwin served as a Law Clerk to the Justices of the Superior Court Department of the Trial Court of The Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- J.D., Boston College Law School, 1979
- M.A., Columbia University Teachers College, 1967
- B.A., Mathematics, Barnard College, 1966
- Ms. Gershwin was selected to Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly’s 2012 Top Women of Law in October 2012.
- Ms. Gershwin was honored by The Fenway Alliance for “Exceptional Spirit” at the Fenway Alliance Celebrates Exceptional Spirits (FACES) honors ceremony in October 2012.
- Ms. Gershwin was named "Environmentalist of the Year" from the Brookline Conservation Commission in June 2011.
- Ms. Gershwin was selected for inclusion in Massachusetts Super Lawyers® (2008, 2007, 2005 and 2004). Super Lawyers and Rising Stars employ an annual jurisdictional selection process. Only five percent of lawyers in the state were selected to the Super Lawyers list and 2.5 percent to the Rising Stars list. The listing appears annually in the November issue of Boston magazine and in New England Super Lawyers.
2/7/2013, 90.9 WBUR - Muddy River Restoration A Response To Climate Change
Frances Allou Gershwin was quoted in this article by Monica Brady-Myerov.
7/11/2006, Bond Buyer - University of Massachusetts to Begin Routine Review of FA Candidates
Fran Gershwin was mentioned in this article by Michelle Kaske for her involvement with the University of Massachusetts Building Authority.