Although Mr. Medwed has a breadth of experience in all areas of the tax law, his practice has concentrated in structuring complex corporate and real estate transactions.
In addition, he is the architect of some of the most sophisticated estate plans produced by Burns & Levinson. He has extensive experience in dealing with partnerships, tax-exempt entities, business trusts, nominee trusts, voting trusts and other less common entities as well as conventional C and S corporations, trusts and estates.
Howard Medwed has been involved in a number of complex business transactions, including like-kind exchanges, spin-offs, mergers and other types of tax-free reorganizations, corporate liquidations, real estate syndications, partnership adjustments, compensation planning, retirement planning and litigation settlement planning.
He also practices before the Internal Revenue Service and Massachusetts Department of Revenue, at all levels, and has been involved in tax litigation. Some of his recent cases have involved valuation, business expense and payroll trust fund issues. His practice also includes advising accountants and tax preparers on reporting and compliance questions.
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- Boson Bar Association, Tax Section, International Law
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Tax Section
- Boston Tax Council
- Howard has been practicing tax law since 1966 (since 1968 at Burns & Levinson).
- Howard is a manager of Burns & Levinson Asset Management LLC and chairman of the firm's Investment Policy Committee. He is a registered investment adviser.
- As the result his professional affiliations, Mr. Medwed has experience in tax legislative drafting and tax policy issues. He has written and lectured extensively for organizations such as the Federal Tax Institute of New England and other tax education groups. He has also served as a judge in the Jessup International Law Competition.
- Interested in public and international affairs from his days at Princeton's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, he and his wife, Mameve, a published novelist and teacher of creative writing, have served as a host family for international students at Harvard for over twenty-five years. This has given him an understanding of foreign legal systems and lawyers as well as an acquaintance with a network of Harvard Law School graduates in a number of countries.
- Active in Cambridge (Massachusetts) civic affairs, he has served as an officer of the Cambridge Civic Association, the Harvard Square Defense Fund, his local neighborhood association, and his local Democratic Ward Committee. He is a commissioner of the Avon Hill Neighborhood Conservation District Commission. He is also on the board of a non-profit organization concerned with the maintenance of Winthrop Park in Harvard Square. In connection with these activities, Mr. Medwed is a frequent spokesperson for neighborhood interests before the Cambridge Board of Zoning Appeals, Planning Board, Historical Commission, License Commission, City Council and other local boards and served as the campaign treasurer for Kathleen Born, a Cambridge city councilor. He has been a delegate to the Massachusetts State Democratic Party Convention for several years.
- Mr. Medwed can read French and Italian.
- LL.B. degree, Harvard Law School
- LL.M., Taxation, Boston University School of Law
- A.B., cum laude, Princeton University
- Mr. Medwed has been Peer Review Rated as AV® Preeminent, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell's peer review rating system.
- Mr. Medwed was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (2013-2017) in the field(s) of Tax Law. Best Lawyers® is based on an exhaustive peer-review survey in which more than 52,000 leading attorneys throughout the country cast almost 5.5 million votes on the legal abilities of other lawyers in their practice areas. Inclusion in Best Lawyers® is considered a singular honor.
- Mr. Medwed was selected for inclusion in Massachusetts Super Lawyers ® (2005 and 2004). Super Lawyers and Rising Stars employ an annual jurisdictional selection process. Only five percent of lawyers in the state were selected to the Super Lawyers list and 2.5 percent to the Rising Stars list. The listing appears annually in the November issue of Boston magazine and in New England Super Lawyers.
1/13/2016, Forbes - How To Cash Your Powerball Winning Ticket Anonymously
Partner Howard Medwed was quoted about lottery winnings.
4/22/2012, Forbes.com - 2012 Mega-Gift? Tough Decision For The Moderately Wealthy
Howard Medwed was quoted in this article by Peter J Reilly.
5/27/2010, The Boston Globe - Cashing Out
Howard Medwed was quoted in this article by Beth Healy and Robert Weisman.
5/18/2010, Bloomberg BusinessWeek - EMC Founder Egan Cheated IRS While Ireland Envoy, Judge Says
Howard Medwed was quoted in this article by Ryan J. Donmoyer and Jef Feeley.
Recent Articles and Publications:
United States v. Windsor: Tax Issues
Burns & Levinson Tax Update, July 2013
Death and Taxes - Not So Certain After All: Important News About the Federal Estate Tax
Tax & Estate Planning Advisory, January 2010
Recent Massachusetts Tax Changes
Tax Update, September 2008
Tax Provisions of the American Housing Rescue and Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2008
Tax Update, August 2008
Ownership of Foreign Real Estate by U.S. Persons
Whitepaper, June 2007
Programs for Ownership of U.S. Real Estate by Non-U.S. Persons
Whitepaper, June 2007
Non-Pension Provisions of the Pension Protection Act of 2006
Tax Update, September 2006
Employee Equity Participating: A Menu
Focus, Fall 2004
'Lawrence' Has Little Effect On Taxes, For Now
The National Law Journal, March 1, 2004
Tax and Estate Planning for Same Sex Marriages
Tax Update, December 2003
Planning For Your Mass Business Trust/QSUB Group
Tax Update, July 2003
The President's Tax Cut: Too Good To Be True or Tax Nirvana?
Tax Update, July 2003
Dividend Tax Repeal: A Lot to Think About
New England In-House, April 1, 2003
Massachusetts Business Trust/Qualified Subchapter S Subsidiary Group
Tax Update, March 2003
Dividend Tax Repeal - Economic Stimulus and Taxpayer Strategies
White Paper, February 2003
Deferring Taxes Through Like-Kind Exchanges
Focus, Winter 2003
The New Tax Law: Fuzzy Math, Meaningful Relief of Planning Opportunities?
Tax Update, June 2001
Massachusetts Tax Saving Opportunity for S Corporations
Focus, Winter 2001
Workshop - NETVA Laureates Entrepreneurship Week, 9.16.2010
Location: Burns & Levinson LLP
Topic: IP / Trademarks, Human Resources, Incorporation, Entity, Tax, Regulations
This event is organized in partnership with the French American Chamber of Commerce, New-England Chapter, and hosted by Burns & Levinson LLP, both official partners of the NETVA program.
Are You Doing Business or Working in the US, Canada or Globally? Immigration Visa's and Tax Considerations You Should Know About, 10.29.2009
Location: Burns & Levinson LLP, Boston MA
Topic: New England-Canada Business Council (NECBC) Event
Limited Liability Companies vs. Business Corporations: Legal, Tax and Accounting Considerations, 11.5.2008
Location: Massachusetts Bar Association Continuing Legal Education program
Role: Faculty Member
Accessing Capital Through TSX Venture Exchange, 11.16.2006
Location: Boston, MA
Howard Medwed and Josef Volman were panelists at the "Accessing Capital Through TSX Venture Exchange" seminar, held on November 16, 2006.
Moderator: "Unwinding Massachusetts Business Trust/QSUB Groups", 1.20.2004
Howard Medwed was the moderator at the Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) program "Unwinding Massachusetts Business Trust/QSUB Groups" on January 20, 2004.