U.S. Tax Court
U.S. Court of Appeals
Prior to joining Burns & Levinson in January 2006, Mr. Smith was a Partner at the firm Perkins Smith & Cohen LLP.
In his law practice, Mr. Smith has served as counsel to individual entrepreneurs and scientists in the areas of personal tax planning and the formation and management of businesses, primarily in the high tech and biotech areas. He also served as general counsel to businesses, primarily in the high tech and biotech areas and to not-for-profit institutions workings in the United States and internationally. Additionally, Mr. Smith has served as counsel to individuals accused of scientific misconduct, including representation before university tribunals, Health and Human Services, the National Institute of Health and the United States Congress.
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Board Member (gubernatorial appointee) of the Industrial Services Program, a quasi-public state agency committed to helping small and medium-sized businesses become active players in world markets while keeping jobs and revenues in Massachusetts.
- Board Member and former Chair of the Pathfinder International, a not-for-profit organization directing in excess of $50 million of private and United States government funds to family planning projects in thirty (30) developing countries.
- Former Chair of the Boston Zoological Society and The Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities
- Mr. Smith also currently serves on boards of various other for-profit organizations.
- J.D., Boston University Law School
- LL.M, Boston University Law School
- Undergraduate, Hamilton College
- Mr. Smith was selected for inclusion in Massachusetts Super Lawyers® (2006). Super Lawyers and Rising Stars employ an annual jurisdictional selection process. Only five percent of lawyers in the state were selected to the Super Lawyers list and 2.5 percent to the Rising Stars list. The listing appears annually in the November issue of Boston magazine and in New England Super Lawyers.