U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Mr. Coen's practice focuses on commercial real estate law, corporate law and corporate finance. He works with real estate owners, lenders and developers as well as individuals and businesses involved in the acquisition, sale and leasing of all types of commercial properties, including industrial, office, retail and hotel properties. He regularly advises lenders in secured (real estate and Uniform Commercial Code) and unsecured lending transactions. Mr. Coen is experienced in all aspects of real estate law, including transactional, finance, environmental and regulatory matters. He also represents individuals and businesses in connection with high-end residential transactions and related legal issues.
Mr. Coen also counsels clients in a wide variety of construction projects. A sampling of such projects includes: power projects – including electricity supply, hydro-electric plants and co-generation plants; transportation – including inter-modal facilities and bicycle path projects; hazardous waste projects and telecommunications projects.
He has been involved in structuring transactions utilizing many different project delivery systems. He has represented public entities engaged in public-private partnerships projects in the design, construction, operation and maintenance of infrastructure projects, including water and wastewater treatment plants and other utilities. In these matters, Mr. Coen has addressed finance, labor, municipal procurement and other legal issues. He has advised clients on risk allocation and contractual provisions bearing on liability distribution. Mr. Coen has assisted clients in resolving issues related to surety bonds, insurance and other forms of security for performance.
Mr. Coen also has experience in Rhode Island's real estate condemnation process, and has represented the State in several condemnation and post-condemnation settlement negotiations and proceedings.
He has represented buyers and sellers of environmentally-contaminated properties, helping parties work with regulatory agencies to maximize value and limit exposure to environmental liability. His practice also includes work in construction development. Mr. Coen has assisted businesses in resolving complex zoning and title issues, and has advised borrowers in obtaining all types of financing, including syndicated, interstate, secured and unsecured financing.
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Mr. Coen is the author of several articles addressing real estate and bankruptcy and other insolvency issues.
- Mr. Coen has been actively involved in several Rhode Island charitable and community organizations, including the Providence College Alumni Association, Building Owners and Managers Association, Northern Rhode Island Chamber of Commerce, Newport County Chamber of Commerce, Boys and Girls Club, Cumberland Youth Soccer Association, Cumberland Youth Lacrosse Association, Mercymount Country Day School and St. John Vianney Church.
- J.D., cum laude, California Western School of Law, 1995
- B.S., Providence College, 1992
9/28/2010, Newport Patch - Teeing Off for the Chamber
Richard Coen was quoted in this article by Catherine Allard.
2/13/2007, Pawtucket Times - Water war ends
Richard Coen and Sean Coffey were mentioned in this article.
Recent Articles and Publications: