Mr. Kanoff focuses his practice on renewable energy and clean technology law, regulatory policy and litigation including permitting, siting, finance, regulatory compliance, project development and transaction matters.
He has extensive experience representing both public and private companies. He has advised numerous emerging and established public companies throughout the country in energy and transactional matters including clean coal and other fossil fuel‐related generation, bio-fuels, biomass, energy and demand management, smart grid, solar, wind, storage, fuel cells and other distributed generation technologies. He assists clients in managing complex legal issues associated with developing, siting, permitting, financing and operating energy facilities, and navigating electrical interconnection and ISO policies, state and federal incentives, and with renewable energy/climate change regulations.
Mr. Kanoff represents clients in proceedings before the Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources, Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities (“DPU”) and at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Counsel to a national equity fund financing 10 MWs of solar facilities in MA; responsible for due diligence, regulatory advice, risk assessment, and transaction documentation.
- Counsel to newly formed solar development company with respect to structuring, acquisitions and development matters.
- Counsel to a large equity fund developing, acquiring and financing over 30 MWs of solar facilities in MA; responsible for due diligence, regulatory advice, risk assessment, and transaction documentation.
- Counsel to prominent bank in debt financing the development and operation of solar facilities on a well known big box retailer in MA; responsible for due diligence; risk assessments; regulatory advice and transaction documentation.
- Counsel to an independent power association in complex regulatory proceedings before the DPU involving interpretation of Massachusetts renewable competitive procurement; counsel (briefed and argued) in related appeal before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
- Counsel to an independent power association in proceedings with respect to competitive development in the Massachusetts DPU’s consideration of the NU-NSTAR merger.
- Counsel to a utility-scale grid-side 20 MW solar PV facility in Wisconsin; which included drafting and negotiating complex power purchase; site lease; interconnection; REC purchase and sale; master cooperation; and PV panel supply agreements.
- Counsel to national independent power producer with respect to a combined wind and solar development in MA (approximately 4 MWs) providing advice regarding permitting; metering; QF status and interconnection.
- Transactions regarding the applicability of investment/production tax credits for solar, wind and biomass projects.
- Transactions involving the development of a billion dollar solar project in Nevada with initial focus on site control, lease, and American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA)/Department of Energy grant/tax credit matters and attention to letters of intent with contractors and suppliers.
- Counsel in numerous proceedings before the Massachusetts DPU and the DOER regarding renewable portfolio standards net metering, and the applicability of long term contracts for renewable generation related to solar and wind facilities.
- Counsel to a solar development company in connection with the acquisition and financing of $20 million in PV facilities in North Carolina in a complex multi-party transaction involving equity and debt financing, deal structuring, tax implications, and drafting and review of purchase and sale, credit, investment and operating agreements.
- Counsel to a national MA-based solar development company with respect to regulatory advice and project finance in MA and CT.
- Counsel to a solar development company, based in the UK, in its expansion into the US; responsible for general corporate, human relations and regulatory advice.
- Transactions involving drafting/reviewing transactional documents for purchase of wind generation equipment.
- Counsel to a development company with respect to the acquisition and financing of a gas-fired peaking facility in New Jersey.
- Counsel to an independent power company with respect to approval of a contested merger before the Massachusetts DPU.
- Mr. Kanoff joined Burns & Levinson in 2014 from a regional firm where he was Co-Chair of the Energy and Utility practice groups. He has also served as an Assistant Attorney General in Massachusetts, specializing in energy matters.
- J.D., cum laude, George Washington University
- B.A., Lafayette College
2/2/2016, The Eagle-Tribune - Andover Gets Aggressive in Gas Pipeline Fight
Partner Richard Kanoff was quoted on Andover Selectmen's vote to intervene in the contract negotiations between Kinder-Morgan and Columbia Gas.
1/13/2016, The Lowell Sun - Dracut to Hire Lawyer in Gas Pipeline Battle
Partner Richard Kanoff was mentioned in this article about the proposed Kinder Morgan pipeline.
12/5/2015, The Keene Sentinel - Coalition of NH towns says NED pipeline will cost ratepayers
Richard Kanoff was quoted in this article on the proposed Kinder Morgan pipeline, written by Meghan Foley.
5/29/2015, The Berkshire Eagle - Lenox joins advocacy group ahead of gas pipeline hearing
Richard Kanoff was mentioned in this article on the proposed Kinder Morgan natural gas pipeline by Clarence Fanto.
5/21/2015, Monadnock Ledger-Transcript - Fighting KM on fronts both big and small
Richard Kanoff was mentioned in this article on Kinder Morgan's proposed pipeline by Ashley Saari.
4/15/2015, WNHN Today - The Attitude with Arnie Arnesen
Richard Kanoff spoke on the proposed Kinder Morgan Pipeline in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
3/30/2015, Lowell Sun - Pipeline opponents target deals
Richard Kanoff was quoted in this article by Todd Feathers.
3/20/2015, The Recorder - Gas pipeline foes parse draft impact report
Richard Kanoff was mentioned in this article by Richie Davis.
3/7/2015, No Fracked Gas in Mass - MassPLAN Hires Energy Lawyer, Joins Allies in NH
Richard Kanoff was mentioned in this article by Rosemary Wessel.
2/23/2015, The Berkshire Eagle - Lenox to host summit on land-use priorities
Richard Kanoff was quoted in this article by Clarence Fanto.
1/8/2015, Cape Cod Times - Experts: Cape Wind sunk without contracts
Richard Kanoff was quoted by Christian Legere on the topic of NSTAR and National Grid's termination of power purchase agreements with Cape Wind.
3/2/2014, Boston Business Journal - Debate over the future of solar energy in Massachusetts heats up at the State House
Richard Kanoff was quoted in this article on solar energy in Massachusetts by Jon Chesto.
Boston Bar Association CLE Program, 9.17.2014
Location: Boston Bar Association, Boston, MA
Topic: Tackling Clean Energy Projects: Risk Management & Future Growth
Environmental Business Council Seminar, 7.15.2014
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire
Topic: Renewable Energy in New Hampshire
National Business Institute Event, 12.10.2013
Topic: Wind Energy Law
Boston Bar Association Program, 10.22.2013
Location: Boston Bar Association: 16 Beacon Street, Boston, MA
Topic: Renewable Energy Project Development and Business and Legal Risk
Law Firm Seminar, 6.13.2013
Location: Boston, MA
Topic: Construction and Energy Collide: Solar and Renewable Energy are Changing the Construction Industry
Boston University Law School Lecture, 3.28.2013
Location: Boston University, Boston, MA
Topic: Elements of Successful Alternative Energy Projects