U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Tom litigates and manages nationwide complex commercial litigation for companies ranging from Fortune 100 companies to family-owned businesses. He has experience in an array of industries including banking, commercial real estate, construction, government contracts, professional services and technology. Though a litigator by training, Tom views litigation as a last resort. Tom prefers that his clients spend their effort, resources and time on transactional matters that lead to economic growth for them and their businesses. To that end, Tom counsel clients on compliance, risk assessment and litigation avoidance to keep them out of the courtroom and in the boardroom.
- Obtained ex parte trustee process and real estate attachments on behalf of a judgment creditor, freezing over $8 million of the defendants’ assets in an international banking fraud lawsuit.
- On behalf of a telecommunications corporation, successfully defeated the individual defendants’ summary judgment attempts to dispose of the corporation’s claims of fraud and conspiracy. Obtained a favorable settlement of all claims for the corporation following the summary judgment victory.
- On behalf of a commercial sub-tenant defendant, succeeded in disposing of the entire multi-million dollar lawsuit brought by a commercial sub-landlord seeking monies under a commercial sublease, while defeating the sub-landlord’s various related cross-motions for summary judgment.
- Represented a general contracting corporation in a multi-million dollar construction contract lawsuit with a private hospital. Obtained a favorable settlement of the dispute on behalf of the corporation after extended mediation.
- Represented a corporate defendant in a lawsuit concerning alleged breaches of a telephony billing services agreement, and successfully disposed of all claims against the corporate defendant at summary judgment. The United States First Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the summary judgment decision.
- Boston Bar Association, Construction Section
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section
- American Bar Association, Construction Industry Forum
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, Work Force Development Committee
- Burns & Levinson welcomed Tom in January 2006 after serving as an associate with the firm Perkins Smith & Cohen LLP since June 2001.
- Mr. Reith has been actively involved with Room to Grow as a member of their Boston Advisory Board since June 2011.
- Mr. Reith served as an Event Vice Chair for the City Year Boston Legal Community Breakfast on February 27, 2014.
- Mr. Reith served as a member of Suffolk University Law School's Transnational Law Review and his article entitled Consumer Confidence: The Key to Successful Global E-Commerce was published in the Summer 2001 edition of the publication.
- While attending law school, Mr. Reith was a teaching assistant to Michael L. Rustad (Secured Transactions).
- Mr. Reith was an editor and research assistant for the publication E-Business Legal Handbook by Michael L. Rustad and Cryus Daftary (Aspen Law & Business 2001) while at Suffolk University Law School.
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, 2000
- B.A., Providence College, 1997
- Mr. Reith was selected for inclusion in Massachusetts Rising Stars ® (2011, 2010 and 2009). Super Lawyers and Rising Stars employ an annual jurisdictional selection process. Only five percent of lawyers in the state were selected to the Super Lawyers list and 2.5 percent to the Rising Stars list. The listing appears annually in the November issue of Boston magazine and in New England Super Lawyers.