Mr. Bass has more than thirty years of extensive experience in all aspects of creditors' rights and bankruptcy law, primarily in Chapter 11 cases. He represents all types of creditors: secured and unsecured; financial, trade, and individual; as well as indenture trustees, Chapter 11 trustees, and bankruptcy trustees; asset and business acquirers; and equity holders and debtors.
Mr. Bass has played key roles in some of the largest Chapter 11 reorganizations nationally, and is regularly involved in mid-size corporate reorganizations and complex individual cases. While he primarily practices in the New England states, he also has handled cases in many other jurisdictions. He represents clients in various industries, including health care, real estate, high technology, retail, wholesale, and international trade.
Prior to joining Burns & Levinson in 1999, Mr. Bass headed the bankruptcy group of the Boston law firm Friedman & Atherton. He previously practiced for many years at Palmer & Dodge LLP, also in Boston. Before beginning the practice of law, Mr. Bass served as a law clerk to the Honorable Edward F. Hennessey of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts.
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Boston Bar Association
- Law Clerk's Society of the Supreme Judicial Court, Board of Governors
- Order of the Coif, a national legal honorary society
- Turnaround Management Association
- Law Review Editor, The University of Chicago Law School, 1973
- J. D., The University of Chicago Law School, 1973
- B.A., The University of Chicago, 1968
- Mr. Bass was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (2010-2013) in the field(s) of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, and Litigation - Bankruptcy. Best Lawyers® is based on an exhaustive peer-review survey in which more than 41,000 leading attorneys throughout the country cast almost 3.9 million votes on the legal abilities of other lawyers in their practice areas. Inclusion in Best Lawyers® is considered a singular honor.
- In 2008 and 2007, Mr. Bass was honored by Chambers USA as a "Leading Individual" in the Bankruptcy/Restructuring Practice in Massachusetts.
- Mr. Bass was selected for inclusion in Massachusetts Super Lawyers®. (2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005 and 2004) Super Lawyers and Rising Stars employ an annual jurisdictional selection process. Only five percent of lawyers in the state were selected to the Super Lawyers list and 2.5 percent to the Rising Stars list. The listing appears annually in the November issue of Boston magazine and in New England Super Lawyers.
1/11/2012, NECN - Bankruptcy for Twinkies maker
Victor Bass appeared on NECN providing remarks about the Hostess bankruptcy situation.
1/20/2010, NECN - MediaNews Group files for bankruptcy
Victor Bass appeared on NECN describing what the bankruptcy filing means to employees and what the future holds. To watch the video,click here.
11/2/2009, WBZ News Radio 1030 - Bankruptcy of CIT Group
Business Reporter Rod Fritz interviewed Victor Bass regarding the CIT Group bankruptcy and future ramifications.
10/7/2009, The Jewish Daily Forward - Should Madoff's Winners Give Back to Losers?
Victor Bass was quoted in this article by Josh Nathan-Kazis.
7/10/2009, NECN - General Motors Emerges from Bankruptcy
Victor Bass appeared on NECN's "NewsDay Live" program, providing remarks about GM's rapid exit from bankruptcy.
5/1/2009, Fox News Radio - Chrysler Bankruptcy
Victor Bass was interviewed by Fox News reporter, Matt Higgins, regarding the bankruptcy of Chrysler.
1/16/2009, WBZ News Radio 1030 - Circuit City Liquidation
Victor Bass discussed the liquidation of Circuit City.
12/8/2008, WBZ News Radio - Large media company filing for bankruptcy protection
Victor Bass discussed how the bankruptcy of the large media company, Tribune, is not necessarily a sign of things to come.
11/13/2008, Boston Herald - Natick mall condo buyers eye developer's money woes
Victor Bass was quoted in this article, discussing the possibility of the developer of the upscale condos at Natick Collection, "Nouville at Natick" going bankrupt and what that could mean for buyers.
11/12/2008, NECN - Faneuil Hall owner eyes bankruptcy
Vic Bass appeared on NECN's segment discussing how consumers should not be concerned about the shutdown of the Natick Collection.
11/10/2008, WBZ News Radio - Circuit City Bankruptcy
Victor Bass was interviewed by Anthony Silva of WBZ radio on the Circuit City bankruptcy filing.
9/19/2008, Boston Herald - Tax $ likely headed down, bankruptcies up
Victor Bass was quoted in this article by Jay Fitzgerald.
9/18/2008, Legal Talk Network - The Fall of Lehman Brothers
Victor Bass appeared as a guest on the show to discuss the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers.
9/17/2008, NECN - Financial Market Meltdown
Victor Bass was interviewed by Peter Howe discussing his views on the AIG/financial markets situation.
9/16/2008, WBZ - Lehman Bankruptcy
Victor Bass was interviewed by WBZ discussing the Lehman bankruptcy issues.
10/27/2006, Rubber & Plastics News - How Rubber Firms Break Out of Bankruptcy
Victor Bass was quoted in this article by Miles Moore. Mr. Bass represented Plymouth Rubber during its Chapter 11 proceedings.
8/20/2006, Mike McNulty - Rubber & Plastics News
Victor Bass was quoted in this article by Mike McNulty.
8/17/2006, Canton Citizen - Napleton is high bidder on Plymouth Rubber property
Victor Bass was quoted in this article by Kathy Anderson.
8/17/2006, The Daily Deal - Napleton wins Plymouth real estate
Victor Bass was quoted in this article by David Elman.
8/10/2006, Canton Citizen - Auction to decide the new owner of Plymouth Rubber
Victor Bass was quoted in this article by Kathy Anderson.
8/9/2006, Patriot Ledger - Plymouth Rubber plan approved; Canton firm due to quit bankruptcy with a new owner
Victor Bass was quoted in this article by Jon Chesto.
8/3/2006, The Daily Deal - Tough Love
Victor Bass was quoted in this article by Shannon D. Murray.
11/19/2004, Boston Business Journal - WBIX Proceeds Likely to Go to Former Owner
Victor Bass was quoted in the article by Edward Mason.
8/23/2003, Boston Business Journal - "Bankruptcies Shift from Shutdowns to Liquidations"
Victor Bass was quoted in the article by Sheri Qualters.
12/7/2001, Boston Business Journal - "Polaroid's Quiet Creditors, Although Left in the Lurch, Some Stay Loyal to Fallen Giant"
Victor Bass talks to the Boston Business Journal's Sheri Qualters in this article. (Cover Story, pg. 51 cont'd.)
2/23/2001, Boston Business Journal - "Getting Ready for the Worst"
Victor Bass comments on law firms building up their bankruptcy practices in the article.
Recent Articles and Publications:
ABI 17th Annual Northeast Bankruptcy Conference, 7.9.2010
Location: Brewster, MA
Topic: Is the PBGC Next? Retirement Plans and the Chapter 11 Debtor
Victor Bass spoke at the BBA seminar "First year of experience under the 2005 Bankruptcy Code Changes" on October 12, 2006.