U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Mr. Sopp's business practice has spanned the areas of corporate transactions, commercial finance, business workouts and reorganization, and bank litigation. He represents a broad range of middle-market companies (often serving as general counsel) both industrial and technology based, start-up and emerging businesses, and numerous financial institutions and governmental agencies in their transactional matters as well as in financial work-outs and bankruptcy proceedings. Mr. Sopp currently serves as a member of the Executive Committee that is responsible for managing the Firm. Prior to entering the practice of law, he was a commercial loan officer with State Street Bank and Trust Company in Boston.
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Representative engagements include:
- Outside General Counsel to privately held manufacturing, technology and service companies
- Secured term loan, line of credit and mortgage debt financings on behalf of lenders, government agencies and borrowers
- Private placement investment funding transactions on behalf of business entities
- Investment agreements among owners of closely-held companies
- Acquisition transactions on behalf of manufacturing, service and technology companies
- Product supply, distribution and joint venture transactions for manufacturers and distributors
- Technology licensing, distribution and reseller agreements on behalf of software and media-based companies
- Corporate and real estate reorganization under Chapter 11 - debtor and creditor representation
- Commercial and mortgage debt restructuring transactions - borrower and lender representation
- Business acquisition through bankruptcy or secured party sales transactions
- Enforcement and defense of creditor rights
- J.D., Northeastern University
- B.A., with Distinction, University of Rochester
- Mr. Sopp holds an "AV" Peer Rating, the highest rating for attorneys awarded by Martindale Hubbell a national register for attorneys, recognizing his professional standards and ethics as well as his legal ability.
- Mr. Sopp was selected for inclusion in Massachusetts Super Lawyers® (2004-2014). Super Lawyers and Rising Stars employ an annual jurisdictional selection process. Only five percent of lawyers in the state were selected to the Super Lawyers list and 2.5 percent to the Rising Stars list. The listing appears annually in the November issue of Boston magazine and in New England Super Lawyers.
- Mr. Sopp serves on the Board of Directors of the Arts and Business Council of Greater Boston, a non-profit organization that promotes interaction between Boston's business and arts communities. Mr. Sopp previously served on the Board of Trustees for the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts of Massachusetts, Inc., a non-profit organization established to address the legal concerns of the arts community in Massachusetts.
Recent Articles and Publications:
Grow Your Success in 2014: Insights & Strategies Program, 11.20.2013
Location: The University of Massachusetts Club
Topic: Perspective from trusted advisors on strategies for planning in 2014
This event is by invitation only.