No one needs to handle a tax dispute alone. Whether you receive a notice letter, or you are undergoing an audit, appealing an audit, seeking to litigate a tax dispute, having tax payment issues, planning to voluntarily come forward and file prior year tax returns, or facing any other type of tax controversy issue, the tax attorneys at Burns & Levinson can assist at any time in the process. We evaluate your individual circumstances and discuss the available options. We work with our clients to develop a strategic plan tailored to their situation and aimed at resolving their specific tax controversy.
As experienced tax attorneys, we possess the technical knowledge and expertise needed to effectively advocate your position. We provide assistance in every area of tax law, including income tax, employment tax, sales or use tax, excise tax, and taxation related to estates and trusts, retirement plans and deferred compensation arrangements.
- Representing before federal, state, and local taxing authorities – we provide consulting assistance at the examination level and we prepare protests for representing you at administrative appeals. We also can represent clients before the Tax Court, District Court or Court of Federal Claims.
- Entering into settlement negotiations with taxing authorities
- Corresponding with the Internal Revenue Service or other tax authorities
- Preparing penalty abatement requests
- Seeking rulings and determination letters
- Commenting on proposed public rulings, directives and regulations
- Assisting return preparers in respect to the reporting of transactions
- Entering into an Offer in Compromise - in certain circumstances if you qualify, we can negotiate with the taxing authority to settle your unpaid tax debt for less than the total owed in full satisfaction of the debt
- Entering into an installment payment plan
- Assisting with the preparation and negotiation of voluntary disclosure agreements
- Seeking Alternative Dispute Resolutions- the Internal Revenue Service has introduced various alternative dispute procedures to help resolve federal tax controversies outside of the normal dispute resolution process. We can assist clients in determining which alternative dispute resolution techniques may fit their specific situation, such as mediation and arbitration.
We are a full service provider and not only defend our clients once they are involved in a tax controversy but we also advise clients on planning future transactions to minimize tax disputes.
The Tax Controversy Group at Burns & Levinson