Cannabis Business & Law Advisory
Clear-headed guidance for growth
Burns & Levinson advises clients seeking to navigate the complex legal and business framework surrounding the exploding cannabis industry. Our firm was among the first in the country to develop and utilize our decades of corporate and finance expertise in creating a business advisory group specifically targeted to the cannabis industry. We have years of experience working with and cultivating relationships with our clients looking to take advantage of and expand their opportunities in this emerging area. We get in the weeds with our clients and have advised multiple cannabis businesses on a nationwide scale.
The marijuana industry is one of the most challenging areas to operate in for businesses and investors. The industry is heavily regulated, and each state that has legalized cannabis has enacted its own complicated systems for licensure and oversight. We understand how to do business in this environment, and dispense the legal guidance and other advice you need to help your business succeed in this constantly shifting maze of rules and regulations.
Our team offers unrivaled experience and offers a full scope of services including: cannabis business formation, licensure, legal and regulatory compliance; corporate structuring, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, fund formation, debt and equity financing, real estate acquisitions and leasing, labor and employment issues, intellectual property protection, 280E taxation issues as well as, if necessary, litigation services.
In the emerging cannabis industry, making and maintaining connections is imperative to a successful business venture. We introduce clients to our extensive network of venture capitalists, private equity investors, investment bankers and entrepreneurs that can help your business raise the capital it needs to grow.
*Notwithstanding recent changes in Massachusetts laws, federal law remains unchanged and the cultivation, possession and/or sale of marijuana and related cannabis products continues to be illegal under federal law. For that reason, our services are strictly limited to advising clients regarding the validity, scope and meaning of Massachusetts and other state laws regarding medical and other legal forms of marijuana. None of our services are intended to assist clients with violations of federal law.
- Drafted private placement memoranda, subscription documents, operating agreements and other associated documents with respect to a $3.2 million capital raise for RI medicinal cannabis cultivation and dispensary locations.
- Drafted private placement memoranda, subscription documents, operating agreements and other associated documents with respect to a $8.0 million capital raise for MA medicinal cannabis cultivation and dispensary locations.
- Drafted private placement memoranda, subscription documents, operating agreements and other associated documents with respect to a $11 million capital raise for MA medicinal cannabis cultivation and dispensary locations.
- Drafted fund formation documents, including private placement memoranda and limited partnership agreement for $60 million fund to be dedicated to cannabis related investments.
- Drafted associated corporate documentation for a $2 million capital call for a RI Cannabis Business.
- Advised various clients who operated various cultivation and dispensary facilities in RI, MA, NH and Maine with respect to multiple cannabis related issues, including banking issues, 280E, corporate formation, real estate issues and capital raises.
- Advised and represented shareholders and partners with respect to disputes in cannabis industry.
Drafted multiple master services agreements for the provision of cannabis related consulting and management services to cannabis facilities.
- Represented participants in the cannabis industry with respect to all related real estate issues impacted by national and state cannabis laws and regulations including leases, purchase and sale agreements ad options to purchase agreements.
- Represent various independent sources of capital providing real estate loans and greenhouse purchase loans.