Carmen F. Francella III is an associate in the firm’s Boston office in the Employment; Executive Compensation & Counseling; Business, Finance & Transactions; Middle-Market M&A and Private Equity; and Government Investigations & White-Collar Crime groups. He represents clients in national and international corporate transactions; sensitive and complex internal investigations, including those related to government enforcement; and litigation and arbitration matters. He also counsels employers on all aspects of employment issues, including non-compete and other restrictive covenant disputes; wage and hour conflicts; workplace misconduct and discrimination; whistleblowing; employee discipline and termination; employee handbooks; compliance and compliance and policy matters; and contentious separations.
J.D., Suffolk University Law School
B.A., Siena College
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
honors & awards
Best Lawyers, Ones To Watch (since 2021)
Super Lawyers, Rising Stars (2020-2022)
Volunteer, Suffolk University Law School National Moot Court Team
Beacon Hill Civic Association
Community Resources for Justice
Corporate Transaction Representations
- Butterfly Equity, a private equity firm specializing in the food sector, and its portfolio company, Modern Restaurant Concepts, on Butterfly’s acquisition of QDOBA, the No. 2 player and No. 1 franchisor in the Mexican fast casual restaurant sector in North America, from funds managed by affiliates of Apollo.
- Tailwater Capital and its portfolio company Producers Midstream II in connection with the acquisition of ArcLight Capital-backed Midcoast Energy’s Anadarko basin operations, consisting of 100 percent of Midcoast Energy’s Anadarko gathering and processing (G&P) system and a 35 percent interest in the Texas Express Gathering (TEG) system.
- Cardenas Markets, a leading grocery retailer focused on serving the Hispanic community, and investment funds affiliated with KKR, a leading global investment firm, on the sale of Cardenas Markets to Apollo.
- Sentinel Capital Partners on the sale of its portfolio company, Apex Companies, a provider of end-to-end environmental consulting and engineering solutions, to Morgan Stanley Capital Partners.
- Brentwood Associates, a leading growth-oriented private equity firm, on its acquisition of a majority interest in Hissho Sushi.
- Pacolet Milliken, LLC , a sustainability-focused investment firm, on its joint venture investment with Evensol LLC, a leading developer of renewable biogas assets.
- Millennium Trust Company, LLC, a leading provider of retirement and financial services for employers, institutions, advisors, and individuals, on its acquisition of PayFlex Holdings, Inc., a provider of health savings accounts (HSAs) and consumer-directed benefit administration services, from CVS Health Corporation.
- A private investment fund in its $1B investment in a nuclear energy company.
- A global private equity firm focused on control and significant minority investments in the $500MM sale of its portfolio company, a property management firm.
- A leading private equity firm focused on investing in enterprise software, data and technology companies on its $200MM acquisition of a web-based talent intelligence platform that assists companies in reference checking.
- A private equity firm in its $115MM acquisition of a medical equipment and laboratory products supplier.
- A private equity firm in its $105MM acquisition of a plastics engineering and low volume injection molding company.
- A global private investment firm in its $75MM acquisition of a mainframe storage and software company.
- A private equity firm and its portfolio company in a $30MM acquisition of an e-commerce analytics provider.
- A private equity firm in its $32MM acquisition of a world leader in insulation and technical fabrics.
- A private equity firm and its portfolio company in a $30MM acquisition of a U.S.-based marketing and consulting agency with subsidiaries in Australia, Mexico, and the United Kingdom.
- A major pharmaceutical company in a contentious separation with an executive related to allegations of hostile work environment.
- A private equity firm and its portfolio company in a noncompete dispute.
- A global talent solutions and business consulting firm in a matter brought by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission related to allegations of sexual misconduct against the Company’s former Chief Executive Officer.
- A former student in settlement negotiations with a private, independent secondary-school related to allegations of sexual misconduct.
Internal Investigation Representations
- A global leader in facilities services related to whistleblower allegations of fraudulent and excessive billing practices.
- A Boston-based non-profit hospital and physician network related to allegations of race discrimination.
- A non-profit organization in a dispute with a former employee who made threats against the organization.
- A non-profit organization in a matter involving allegations of bullying and harassment.
- A Liberia-based non-governmental organization related to allegations of race discrimination and harassment.
- A Massachusetts-based independent, college-preparatory day school related to allegations of sexual misconduct against a former faculty member.
- Two elite New England private secondary schools related to historical allegations of sexual misconduct.
- A Boston-based college related to student-on-student sexual assault allegations under Title IX.
- A medical device company during a civil investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts related to alleged Anti-Kickback violations.
Litigation & Arbitration Representations
- loanDepot in its lawsuit against CrossCountry for breach of contract, trade secret violations, interference with contractual relations, and unfair competition.
- A Boston-based financial services corporation against claims of breach of contract and misappropriation.
- A Boston-based university against claims of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- A Boston-based private investment management firm against claims of race and gender discrimination.
- A national student loan servicer in a lawsuit brought by the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office alleging unfair and deceptive business practices under Chapter 93A.
- A dental equipment manufacturer in a trade secret dispute.
Boston Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association
Senate Bill Proposes Equal Pay for U.S. Women’s Soccer Team, National Law Review, July 2019