A business-first lawyer with a finance background, Richard Coen has spent his 25+ years in the legal profession helping decision makers maximize profit and minimize risk.
Richard’s practice primarily focuses on commercial real estate law, finance, and public-private partnerships with clients ranging from real estate owners to lenders and developers in the acquisition, sale, and leasing of all types of commercial properties. He regularly advises parties in secured and unsecured lending transactions. Drawing on decades of experience and established relationships in all aspects of real estate, Richard thrives in addressing complex legal and business issues and finding ways to help his clients set and reach their goals.
“My clients hire me to help navigate the unknown,” he says. “I help them understand their rights, obligations, and most importantly, their options. The more they know, the better they perform.”
J.D., cum laude, California Western School of Law, 1995
B.S., Providence College, 1992
U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
honors & awards
The Best Lawyers in America© – Municipal Law (2018-2023)
Boys and Girls Club
Cumberland Youth Lacrosse Association
Mercymount Country Day School
St. Mary Sacred Heart School
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Woonsocket
- High School GED Program Instructor
St. John Vianney Church
- Religious Education Instruction
- Represented lenders in first offshore wind farm in the U.S.
- Guided municipality in $100 million drinking water treatment plant design, construction and operation procurement.
- Worked with client in acquisition, re-purposing and permitting of 350,000 square foot manufacturing facility.
- Represented owner of luxury residential real estate tower in zoning and finance analysis.
- Advised client in acquisition and master lease of multi-parcel complex in urban area.
- Guided purchaser in acquisition of $500 million gas-fired electricity generating plant.
- Advised hotel owner in multi-state syndicated financing.
- Helped school district meet challenging timetable in assembling multi-parcel site for new middle school campus.
- Acted as Rhode Island real estate counsel to borrower in $870 million multi-state property financing
- Advised buyer in acquisition and financing of property for design, construction and operation of senior living facility
Massachusetts Bar Association
Rhode Island Bar Association
The Providence Foundation
Providence College Alumni Association
Rhode Island Building Owners and Managers Association
Northern Rhode Island Chamber of Commerce
“Family-Owned Real Estate in COVID-19 Conditions,” Burns & Levinson’s COVID Considerations, May 2020
“Rent Considerations – Forbearance Agreement or Lease Amendment?” Burns & Levinson’s COVID Considerations, April 2020
“Impacts on the Real Estate Sector,” Burns & Levinson’s COVID Considerations, March 2020
“It Takes a Team: The Professionals You May Need When Purchasing Commercial Real Estate,” New England Real Estate Journal, June 2011
“Alternative Procurement Approaches for Building Tomorrow’s Treatment Plants,” Water World, September 2010
“The Battle over Wastewater between Woonsocket and North Smithfield,” Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership at Bryant University Case Study, May 2019
“Paskalis and Steingold of MG Commercial Broker $10.7 Million Sale; Okonite Company is Buyer,” New England Real Estate Journal, July 2014
“Teeing Off for the Chamber,” Newport Patch, September 2010
“Water War Ends,” Pawtucket Times, February 2007