US District Court for the District of Massachusetts
In his family law practice, Mr. Barriere has extensive litigation experience in the areas of divorce, abuse prevention orders, custody disputes, actions involving the Department of Children and Families (“DCF”), paternity actions, and post-divorce modification and enforcement of alimony, child support, and other judgments. He routinely negotiates and drafts prenuptial agreements, cohabitation agreements, and divorce agreements. Mr. Barriere also serves Barnstable, Bristol, Norfolk, and Plymouth counties as a trained family law mediator. As a neutral mediator, he helps couples amicably resolve family law issues – such as divorces, custody and support disputes, and paternity matters - through informed negotiation. He is also a trained conciliator, certified by the Barnstable County Bar Association.
In his probate litigation practice, Mr. Barriere has represented donors, trustees, executors, and beneficiaries in will contests, fiduciary disputes, and equity actions in the probate court.
Mr. Barriere has extensive experience working with athletes, screenwriters, actors, songwriters, and musicians in both litigation and non-litigation contexts.
- Barnstable County Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Council on Family Mediation
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Plymouth District Bar Association
- The American Academy for Certified Financial Litigators, Founding Member
- Mr. Barriere is a regular contributor to the firm blog Divorce Law Monitor.
- The American Academy for Certified Financial Litigators awarded Mr. Barriere the designation of Certified Financial Litigator in 2015. The AACFL is a private organization whose standards for certification are not regulated by a state authority or the American Bar Association.
- Mr. Barriere is certified to provide Limited Assistance Representation in the Probate & Family Courts of Massachusetts.
- Mr. Barriere participates annually as a Coach in the Massachusetts Bar Association Statewide High School Mock Trial Program. He also participates in mock trial presentations at Suffolk and Boston College Law Schools through lectures taught by the Honorable Judge Edward Ginsburg (retired).
- While at Suffolk University Law School, Mr. Barriere was an Executive Board Member of the Moot Court Board.
- Mr. Barriere was also the Editor-in-Chief of the Suffolk Journal of Trial & Appellate Advocacy.
- He won the 2001 National Tax Moot Court Championship.
- J.D., cum laude, Suffolk University Law School, 2002
- B.A., English, summa cum laude, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 1999
Recent Articles and Publications:
Imputed Income and Health Insurance in Divorce Settlements
Tax Update, February 2014
When is a Mom Not a Mom? De Facto Parenting in Massachusetts
Focus Newsletter, Spring 2013
How Real is Your Love? Divorce, Annulment and Reality TV
Massachusetts Divorce Law Monitor, February 1, 2013
Considering Military Pensions in Divorce Cases
Massachusetts Divorce Law Monitor, May 15, 2012
The Massachusetts Divorce Law Practice Manual
Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE), 2012
Co-editor: Peter F. Zupcofska, et al. Other Burns & Levinson contributing authors: Ronald Barriere, Brian Bixby, Elizabeth Crowley, Lisa Cukier, Robin Lynch Nardone, Robert O'Regan, Susan Stenger, Nancy Van Tine and Peter Zupcofska.
Fighting at Home and Abroad: Child Custody and Visitation of Deployed Service Members
Massachusetts Divorce Law Monitor, July 14, 2011