Field-leading sports counsel
Burns & Levinson’s Sports Practice attorneys are a valuable business partner with our clients in the sports industry. We are dedicated to fostering growth in this industry by identifying opportunities for our clients. With our assistance, our team has successfully completed deals, handled transactions and resolved disputes for leagues, franchises, owners, investors, athletes, vendors, suppliers, media and technology companies on the professional, intercollegiate and interscholastic levels. We also represent those who provide services, technology, sponsorship and facilities to the sports industry, as well as manufacturers of sporting goods and apparel.
Sports is an exciting and challenging area of the law in which to practice. Clients receive guidance from our attorneys on the legal maze of negotiating terms, securing financing, and reach the ultimate goal of closing the deal. In addition, our attorneys are advisors for and participate on company and organization boards and committees, including the recently formed Israel Baseball League.
Our clients can score high by leveraging our experience in many cross disciplines. As a full service firm, we are able to cover every aspect – corporate, litigation, finance, intellectual property, tax, media and entertainment, real estate, labor and employment, securities, and franchising.
- Setting up professional leagues
- Buying and selling franchises
- Structuring and negotiating financing transactions and investments and employment and talent agreements
- Negotiating stadium leasing, concession agreements/contracts and sponsorship and rights agreements
- Protecting, licensing and litigating of intellectual property rights
- Mediating, arbitrating and litigating a multitude of issues
- Negotiation of Rights Agreements with MLB.com and NASCAR.
- Negotiation of Licensing Agreement with ESPN, ABC Sports, FOX Sports and Turner Sports.
- Purchase of Boston Indoor Franchise of the National Lacrosse League
- General Counsel to Sportvision, provider of the 1st and Ten™ line and other sports broadcast enhancements, in multiple financings and eventual sale.
- Merger of two Sports-Technology Companies.
- Representation of Reebok in multiple matters with respect to player contract disputes.
- Representation of Sports Consulting Firm.
- Sale of Augusta Greenjackets, (Minor League Baseball Team) to Ripken Enterprises.
- Purchase of Modesto Nuts (Minor League Baseball Team).
- Serving on the Advisory Board of the Israeli Baseball League.
- Purchase of Mobile Bay Bears (Minor League Baseball Team).
ProfessionalsMeet the team
amazing clientsMore client stories
receive news & alerts
Yes! I’d like to receive updates with firm news and insights that are relevant to me!