Financing public infrastructure and other capital projects in a complex regulatory environment presents numerous challenges to state, county and municipal governments and independent public authorities.
The municipal finance, securities and tax lawyers of the Public Finance Team at Burns & Levinson possess over 150 years of collective experience assisting state, regional and local governmental authorities, non-profit organizations, banks and other financial institutions, development entities and underwriters successfully meet these challenges in connection with a broad array of public bond transactions.
Our firm is listed as nationally-recognized bond counsel in the Bond Buyer’s Municipal Marketplace Directory (commonly known as the ‘Redbook’) and routinely serve as bond counsel, issuer’s counsel, underwriter’s counsel, borrower’s counsel, lender’s counsel and trustee’s counsel. In fact, over the past five years, the Public Finance Team has been involved in nearly 100 municipal security transactions throughout New England and elsewhere in the United States, including in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Texas, and Vermont.
The Public Finance Team has served as bond counsel in connection with virtually every type of governmental issue, including general obligation, lease revenue (both bonds and certificates of participation), tax anticipation, revenue anticipation, tax increment, development/redevelopment, special revenue financings and refundings. We have participated in public financings involving all types of public capital projects including:
- Airport facilities
- Affordable housing projects
- Health care facilities
- Solid waste disposal facilities
- Sewer facilities
- Public education facilities
- Sports facilities
- Transportation projects
- Renewable energy
- Municipal equipment and service purchases
- 501(c)(3) projects
In addition, the Public Finance Team has been involved in a wide variety of innovative and creative financings including variable rate bonds, commercial paper, credit enhanced financings, sale/leaseback transactions, public-private partnerships, multi-modal bonds, derivative products, and a variety of other financing techniques. As members of the National Association of Bond Lawyers, we regularly stay apprised of the latest changes in federal tax law, securities law and other aspects of the issuance of public debt. Out team routinely advises our public issuer clients in the areas of post-issuance tax compliance, arbitrage and rebate, securities law, primary and secondary disclosure compliance and other federal and state legal requirements applicable to public and private bond offerings.
Massachusetts Development Finance Agency
Serve as bond counsel to the Massachusetts Development Finance Agency, and have been involved in thirty-seven of the agency’s bond transactions as either bond counsel, bank counsel or borrower’s counsel in the past five years.
Southfield (Massachusetts) Redevelopment Authority
Bond and Underwriters Counsel
Acted as bond counsel and underwriters counsel in connection with tax exempt and taxable municipal securities issued throughout New England.
State of Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation
Acted as bond counsel to the State of Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation in connection with the issuance of nearly $100 million in exempt special facility revenue bonds for the construction of intermodal facility located at T.F. Green State Airport.
- Serve as bond counsel to the Massachusetts Development Finance Agency, and have been involved in thirty-seven of the agency’s bond transactions as either bond counsel, bank counsel or borrower’s counsel in the past five years.
- Counsel to the Southfield (Massachusetts) Redevelopment Authority in connection with the refunding of State Contract Assistance Bonds issued to finance critical transportation infrastructure improvements servicing the redevelopment of the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station.
- Acted as bond counsel and underwriter’s counsel in connection with tax-exempt and taxable municipal securities issued throughout New England.
- Acted as bond counsel to the State of Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation in connection with the issuance of nearly $100 million in exempt special facility revenue bonds for the construction of intermodal facility located at T.F. Green State Airport.