Laura Mittelman is a zealous advocate and seasoned litigator who helps her clients resolve complex business disputes, including those relating to contract formation, performance, and enforcement, and disputes centered around business torts such as breach of fiduciary duties, misrepresentation, and unfair competition. She also helps her business clients defend against and defeat purported class actions.
In her real estate litigation practice, Laura handles commercial and residential matters, including leasing, easement, construction, and eviction claims. Laura also represents condominium associations, unit owners, and property managers in condominium trust disputes.
Laura's clients range from individuals and closely held businesses to multinational corporations. She has advocated for clients in state, federal, and multi-district litigation forums, with experience at both the trial and appellate levels. Laura regularly takes cases to trial and has first-chair experience before juries and judges.
J.D., summa cum laude and Order of the Coif, DePaul University College of Law
B.A., Middlebury College
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit Court
honors & awards
2023 Best Lawyers in America©, Ones to Watch – Commercial Litigation
2021 Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, Up & Coming Lawyer
2020 American Bar Association, On the Rise – Top 40 Young Lawyers
2017-2018 Women’s Bar Association, Women’s Leadership Initiative
2016-17 Boston Chamber of Commerce, Women’s Leadership Program
DePaul Law Review – Managing Editor of Notes and Comments
Wine Spirit Education Trust, Level 3 Award in Wines
French Wine Scholar (FWS) post-nominal, with honors
Italian Wine Scholar (IWS) post-nominal, with honors
Boston University Metropolitan College of Food and Wine, Wine Studies Certificate
Pan-Mass Challenge – seven-time rider and heavy hitter
Boston Marathon – Team BMC (2019, 2020)
NYC Marathon – Boston Children’s Hospital (2019)
Boston Bar Association “Law Day in the Schools” (2015-present)
Tech Goes Home Board of Directors (2017-2019)
- Defended international sporting equipment manufacturer in a contract dispute regarding whether royalty payments were owed in connection with several lines of products.
- Represented the founder of a world-famous rock band in federal jury trial against former band guitarist on trademark infringement and contract claims.
- Represented mutual fund trustees in claims against 40 Act custodian bank arising out of $16 million fraud by fund’s adviser.
- Successful defense of a $24 million claim for fraudulent conveyance and breach of fiduciary duty before the First Circuit.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a shareholder of a closely-held business after aggressively pursuing his claims of breach of fiduciary duty and unfair and deceptive practices.
- Defended national fitness chain in nationwide class action litigation relating to memberships.
- Prior pro bono efforts include an appeal before the Illinois Supreme Court, as well as matters relating to the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services and the Cook County Domestic Violence Victim’s Assistance Project.
Boston Bar Association
Massachusetts Women’s Bar Association
Massachusetts Real Estate Bar Association (REBA) – Litigation Section
Middlebury College Alumni Association
“Second Updated Order Regarding Court Operations in Massachusetts,” Covid Considerations, May 2020
“An Update on the Status of the Massachusetts State Court System,” Covid Considerations, April 2020
“Covid-19’s Impact on the Massachusetts Court System: Status Update,” Covid Considerations, March 2020
“Business Judgement v. Reasonableness — What Standard Will A Court Apply,” Condo Media, August 2019
“Silencing the ‘Twittering Juror’: The Need to Modernize Pattern Cautionary Jury Instructions to Reflect the Realities of the Electronic Age,” DePaul Law Review, Fall 2010