U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Frank Segall is the Chairman of Burns & Levinson’s Business Law and Finance Groups. Mr. Segall also currently serves as an Executive Committee member of Burns & Levinson. He has a sophisticated business practice serving as general counsel and transactional counsel, representing start-up ventures, middle-market companies, public companies, financial institutions, commercial mortgage companies, private investors, and real estate developers in a variety of complex commercial matters.
Mr. Segall’s expertise is in sophisticated commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate workout and restructuring transactions on a local and national basis, loan portfolio acquisitions and sales, venture capital financings, national and local financings, multi-property and multi-state financings, secured and unsecured lines of credit, construction financings, loan participations and syndications, commercial and asset-based lending, real estate and all forms of real estate development, leasing, and acquisitions. Mr. Segall serves as general counsel to a variety of companies and entrepreneurs.
M & A Transactions
- Mergers, acquisitions and sales of a variety of companies and commercial assets with transactions ranging from several million dollars to over $500 million
- $500 million acquisition of international distribution company
- $185 million sale of consumer products company
- $150 million roll up of several distribution companies in 36 months
- $100 million sale of specialty chemicals company
- $100 million sale of distribution company
- $80 million merger of several professional firms
- $50 million sale of plastic injection molding company
- $60 million acquisition of finance company
- $45 million sale of plastics molding company
- $20 million simultaneous roll up of three data storage companies
- $20 million sale of Massachusetts high tech company
- $20 million sale of distribution company
- $20 million sale of parking solutions company
- $10 million sale of chemical distribution company
- $10 million leveraged buy-out of asset management company
- Representing borrowers and lenders in billions of dollars of asset based, commercial and real estate financings and restructurings throughout the U.S. and internationally
- Structured $200 million credit facility for major lending institution
- Structured $150 million syndicated financing credit facility for major lending institution secured by multiple properties throughout the U.S.
- Secured and structured $150 million warehouse line for lending facility and raised $3 million in equity
- Secured and structured $70 million revolving line of credit facility for acquisition of company out of bankruptcy
- Secured and structured $40 million financing for regional restaurant chain with over 100 ground lease and fee locations
- Secured and structured $25 million acquisition financing for troubled manufacturer
- Structured $25 million financing secured by patent litigation
Distressed Structured Deals
- Development, acquisition, financing, sale and leasing of one million square foot office complex and millions of square feet of office, industrial and residential complexes
- Represent a variety of lenders and companies in restructurings, workouts, bankruptcy liquidations and recovery matters
- Represented client in the acquisition and financing of four brand companies in approximately 120 days through a combination of assumption of debt, new financings and article IX strategies
- Secured $20 million of senior and junior debt to refinance client from its current lender avoiding protracted workout and assisted in restructure and sale of manufacturing business
- Secured buyer and structured liquidating sale of manufacturer to maximize recovery to shareholders
- Structured repurchase of company by founder within 12 months after his sale to buyer including arranging for secured debt lender to remain in transaction
- Secured senior debt, mezzanine debt and equity for manufacturer in bankruptcy and assisted its recovery from bankruptcy
- Structured investment and acquisition of majority control in distressed manufacturing company and restructured debt
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- J.D., Columbia University, 1984
- B.A., cum laude, Brandeis University, 1981
- Mr. Segall was selected for inclusion in Massachusetts Super Lawyers® (2011, 2006, and 2004). Super Lawyers and Rising Stars employ an annual jurisdictional selection process. Only five percent of lawyers in the state were selected to the Super Lawyers list and 2.5 percent to the Rising Stars list. The listing appears annually in the November issue of Boston magazine and in New England Super Lawyers.
3/23/2012, Boston Business Journal - Outside the Box: Going to bat for Crohn's and Colitis Foundation - Frank Segall
Frank Segall profiled by Lisa van der Pool talking about his practice and passions.
12/13/2002, Sheri Qualters - "Law Firms Stress the Sale"
Frank Segall was quoted in the article by Sheri Qualters.
11/8/2002, Boston Business Journal - "In Flux, Burns & Levinson Regroups with New Strategies"
David Rosenblatt, Frank Segall, Laura R. Studen and the Firm were featured in the article by Sheri Qualters.
9/28/2001, Boston Business Journal, pg. 6 - "Hub Law Firms Chart Path Through Post-Terror Thicket"
Frank Segall was quoted by Sheri Qualters in this article.
Recent Articles and Publications:
The Family Business Perspective
ACG Boston Newsletter, November 5, 2010
7th Annual CTMA, NE TMA & NYIC Regional Conference: Credit & Bankruptcy Symposium, 5.10.2013
Location: Mohegan Sun Resort & Casino, Uncasville, CT
Topic: Keynote Luncheon Program - Chat With Our Economist: Jim Paulson, Ph.D.
TMA Northeast Asset Based Lending Panel 2013, 3.18.2013
Location: Boston Harbor Hotel - Boston, MA
Topic: Asset Based Lending's Evolving Role in the Capital Structure
TMA 6th Annual Credit & Bankruptcy Symposium at Mohegan Sun Resort & Casino, 5.11.2012
Location: Mohegan Sun Resort & Casino, CT
Topic: The Lender's Perspective
ACG Fall Conference, 11.16.2010
Location: Boston, MA
Topic: Keeping It All in the Family: Issues Facing Today's Founder & Family Owned Businesses
Fundable deals: Making VCs Sit Up and Take Notice, 12.8.2009
Location: Dedham, MA